Monday, April 25, 2011

2011 "Off the Block" Men's Blocking Award Announced

The winner of the 2011 men's collegiate Blocker of the Year award, bestowed by the blog Off the Block, has been announced. It is Futi Tavana of BYU. I was a member of the voting panel of coaches and writers, with each of us being able to vote for our top three candidates and the winner being determined on a point system. In my previous message (directly below the present one), I explained both the statistical process I followed in arriving at my votes and the particular players for whom I voted.

As shown in the following table, my vote for first place matched dead-on with the larger panel, my vote for third was in the same ballpark (or in this case, gym) as the panel, and my vote for second was nowhere close to the panel!

Player                           
 My Vote 
Official Results  
Futi Tavana (BYU)        
      1st     
           1st           
Steven Shandrick (USC)
     2nd    
        Tie 10th      
Austin Zahn (USC)         
     3rd    
         Tie 4th       

Why did Shandrick receive so little support from the other panelists? He amassed a nice total of blocks, with some of his highest individual-match numbers coming against USC's most proficient-hitting opponents. Is there some factor I overlooked that made Shandrick's totals artificially high? I'd be very interested to see people's views of the issue in the comments.

No comments:

2023 NCAA Women's Preview

Sixth-four teams are alive at the moment, but it sure looks like Nebraska (28-1) and Wisconsin (26-3) will meet for a third time this season...